Sunday, January 23, 2011

My Alter Ego

Vacation Motor Hotel, Clarksville, TN © 2009 David Boyd Jr.
Many of know that I am a bit of a shutter bug. It mostly came out of a fascination with the camera at a young age and most recently, the purchase of my first digital SLR to coincide with my first large purchase of a painting over 3 years ago.

Ever since, I have had my camera at my side at all times. I mostly use the images for reference, but recently started entering shows. I have been accepted to the past 2 Nature Undisturbed shows and well as the last 2 SlowExposures shows.

About a year ago I started a blog for my photos called dirtroadphotographer, but decided I could only focus on one passion at a time and have neglected it ever since.

I have dabbled in digital photography using Photoshop, Aperture, SilverFX and several camera types from digital to film to my cell phone. I have even started an AP photo class at the high school where I teach.

Last week I got one of those emails that make me grin from ear to ear. Chris Curry, owner of A Novel Experience in Zebulon, GA and one of the founders of SlowExposures emailed to see if they could use one of my images from the entrants I had sent for last years show as the central image for the marketing materials this year. Even though it was not selected for that show, it resonated with them. I am thrilled, honored and humbled to have been asked. The image happens to be one that I planned on turning into the largest Googie Art sign painting I have ever done of my favorite sign of all time, the Vacation Motor Hotel.

For publishing purposes, I changed the image to black and white.

No comments:

Post a Comment