Friday, September 30, 2011

Big Red

A special honor for me to use the photograph of one of my students, Mitchell Jones, as inspiration for this painting. Mitchell, now a Senior in high school, was a junior when he took a picture of the semi up the road from his house. The first time I saw it, I knew I had to paint it. Mitchell was kind enough to let me use it, and I have to say, I really like it. If this one goes over well, it may become a 48"x60" piece. That was my initial thought, but after much debate, I decided to start a bit smaller and work from there.  I usually take pictures at stages of the larger work in case something really cool happens and I can't remember what it is. Thanks, Mitchell!

Big Red, 30"x40", oil on 3" museum wrap, available at my one man show, Progression,
Nov. 12 at the Dogwood Gallery in Tyrone, GA

underpainting

toned canvas and value drawing in burnt sienna

2 comments:

  1. I really like this painting David!
    Also a great photo too I'm sure.
    Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Robin! The photo was pretty sweet as well.

    ReplyDelete