Sunday, March 8, 2009

From the Floor 039


This is the first painting I have done since Wednesday! I have been going crazy to paint, but I have had a very difficult time balancing my usual hermit ways with my new social life with Julies back in town. I have no need or desire for socializing anymore, but she isn't a freak like me! I draw my cartoons on the weekend, which have a deadline, so they take precedence on the weekends. It makes it difficult to paint on the weekends when I am not recovering from a day of teaching high schoolers. I am going to have to try much harder to carve out that time during the week. This piece is a monster, hopefully it will make up for the time lost. To date, it is the largest oil piece I have done, measuring 30"x40". This one is based on a picture I took almost 3 years ago. The idea to finish it came to me when I was trying to think of something to do for an upcoming group show called Rites of Passage. I hope it is dry enough to take to the gallery on Saturday! I did this piece in one day, maybe 5 hours, and it was a long 5 hours. I hated it every step of the way. I am very pleased with the outcome, however!

2 comments: