Thursday, August 6, 2009

Weiss Liquors, Nashville 122


I took several reference pictures of this great Googie Art sign in Nashville a couple of weeks ago. The whole of the complex must have been Googie, but it was in a very shady part of town and I didn't take enough time to notice the structure, which is secondary to me anyway. I wanted to get a night pic but because the store still functions as a liquor store, the local winos were congregated en mass around the base of the sign. Since I am not a Street Photographer, I elected to wait until the following morning. That evening we saw or friends, The Wrights with Alex McCullough open for Chris Isaak at the Rhyman, what a great show by both groups. We met Adam and Alex the next morning for coffee and I thought it would be a great time to get the sign pictures without too much interference... I was wrong. Being a reformed scotch man, I forgot that sometimes, you are thirsty all day if you know what I mean. These guys sure were. The store was every bit as busy at 9:00am as they were at 9:00pm. Anyway, not letting that get in my way, I snapped a few reference pictures from which a did this little study. This will become a larger painting and part of my Goggie Art sign Series.

2 comments:

  1. interesting subject David! .. but you ALWAYS have great character in your paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, margot!! i'll miss you guys later this fall, but i may duck in every now and again to say hello!

    ReplyDelete