Friday, October 30, 2009

Mr. Chestnut's Shed, 158

I got a little ahead of myself with the last few postings, so I am backing up to day 2 of the workshop. After we experimented with the Zorn palette, this was the first piece I did out in the field. Nothing to write home about. This was the first go with the Vasari grays and the rest of the color that are included in the palette of death. I struggled a bit with this piece, it was small and i felt a bit awkward working on it, 5"x7" just isn't my size and I really prefer something closer to square like a 6"x8". But, you labor an and you get what you get. I try to hold judgement until I am done with a piece. You never know how it is going to turn out until you are done.

Vasari grays are an amazing shortcut to values. Each of the grays we used were infused with a color form the limited palette to get the grayed off look you actually see when you are out in nature. You may not realize it, but when you really look they are there!

I am somewhat accustomed with the use of gray, I have alwasy tubed by remnants from my palette at the end of each day and then used that to mix with each color on my palette to neutralize the tube colors. Vasari paints are hand mixed and hand tubed, using no chalks or fillers. They may soon become my paint of choice. They do exactly what you think they will do when you use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment