Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Three Mini Pumpkins, 152


I worked off of my palette from last night, unless you couldn't tell. Something I picked up from Jill Steenhuis. She sometimes uses the same palette for up to a month. She scrapes all the excess and places the new "colors" back in there slots along the edge. She uses a large hand held palette and puts it in the freezer, which works very well if your palette fits in a freezer. Mine may fit in a deep freeze, maybe. The one time I did freeze a palette, it didn't go over very well with Jules. It is bad enough the house is covered in my painting explosion, but the freezer is just taking it too far!

This piece is a departure of some sort, I am not sure where it is going, but it is going somewhere different. This piece is interesting to say the least. I hated it at the beginning and just continued to chip away and walked away with something I am not ashamed to share. Sometimes you should just walk away, but the majority of the time, I try to reserve judgement until the piece is done and if I still hate it, then I can toss it.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a really interesting piece. When you back up from it the image falls right into place and when you go back closer it breaks back into brush marks - brilliant.

    ReplyDelete