Friday, June 26, 2009

They Can't All Be Good: Caddy Study


Thought I would share my latest unsuccessful piece. Sometimes when you are all excited about a subject, you do a study and it doesn't work out. This is one of those pieces.

I have all these pictures of this great, finned, '57 Caddy that I have painted before. I was very excited about this particular view because of the grill and the hooded headlight and the bullets on the grill... they reminded me of something Madonna would have worn once. I have already drawn it out on a 30"x40" canvas and all I had to do was this little color study and then I was off! Simple, right???..... no. Last night I went into the studio to whip out this little beaut and it crumbled before my eyes. You continue to rework and try to correct, but you really should just scrape it down and start over. This piece is not working for a lot of different reasons, and I am not sure if it will ever become large or not.... either way, it stands as a reminder that they can't all be good! Humbling...

2 comments:

  1. There are actually things I like about this...as it was loading it reminded me of a Soutine meat painting...you would know that I mean that as a compliment of course. Great energy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the drawing is weird, and the background does nothing for the foreground and the bumper color is way too blue... but from you, i will take it!! ill be checking out soutine...

    ReplyDelete